We are all curious about the world we live in, wonder why it is that way, and ask about our place in it. In Science, we aim to help students gain an understanding of the scientific aspects of their world – in the aras of biology, chemistry, earth sciences, the environment and physics.
Our new laboratory facilities provide an excellent environment for practical activities and experiments that from an integral part of Science studies.
- All students study Science from Year 7 to 10 as part of their Core Studies.
- Year 10 students complete a rotation of Biology, Chemistry and Physics with VCE teachers to better prepare students for their VCE studies. Science extension is also available as an elective at Year 10. An alternate program ‘Science for Life’ is available for those students not continuing with Science into senior school.
- VCE Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Psychology are offered at Year 11 and 12 with the option to fast track Biology or Psychology.
Special Science Programs
- Annual celebration of National Science Week during August. Extra-curriculum activities offered include:
- ICAS Science Competition
- RACI Titration Competition
- STAV Science Programs
- Environmental Days held at Years 7 and 8.
- Day excursions for Biology, Chemistry and Year 7 Science.
- Live displays (Eastern water dragons and Goliath Stick Insects)
Mathematics provides students with access to important mathematical ideas, knowledge and skills that they will draw on in their personal and work lives. The curriculum also provides students, as life-long learners, with the basis on which further study and research in mathematics and applications in many other fields are built. Mathematics is an integral part of the school curriculum at all year levels with 5 lessons a week at years 7, 8 & 12 and 4 lessons per week at years 9, 10 & 11.
Students in Year 7 may be exposed to the flipped classroom. Instructional videos of individual concepts are placed on the network enabling students to do some pre-learning before a skill is taught in the classroom. The flipped classroom enables students to access an explanation via video as many times as they wish.
YEAR 8 & 9
Students at Year 8 and 9 are using a program called Maths Pathways. This program tailors each lesson to precisely what each individual student is ready to learn. These lessons might involve filling in gaps in prior learning, or working on extension activities. Students complete work individually in their maths exercise book, guided by questions and videos from the computer. They also work with the teachers in small groups, and one-on-one. The whole class comes together for rich learning and real-world mathematical application.
In Year 10, a specialised maths program allows students to succeed at their particular level of mathematics. Students select either Maths 10 or Maths 10A, depending on their abilities and ambitions.
Extension Maths is offered as an elective study at Year 10. Students are exposed to Year 11 concepts to assist them with the transition into Year 11 Maths Methods and Specialist Maths, as well as complementing many areas of year 10 Preliminary Maths Methods.
- Foundation Maths, General Maths, Maths Methods and Specialist Maths are offered at Year 11.
- Further Mathematics, Maths Methods, and Specialist Maths are offered at Year 12.
Students at all year levels have several avenues available to them if they require extra individual assistance. Maths extra help is provided during lunchtime once a week for all students. There are also Mathematics teachers available during the homework club offered after school once a week.
Students are encouraged to be involved in extra-curricula maths activities such as Pi-day and the ICAS mathematics competition.