St Mary of the Angels is committed to providing our students with the best possible opportunities to develop their reading, writing and speaking/listening skills. Throughout each year level staff equip our students so that they can explore, discuss and imagine a range of texts and themes that build skills and build the confidence of all our students. Our teachers are committed and passionate and are constantly challenging themselves to deliver the best possible English curriculum.
During Literacy Week our students will have the opportunity to involve themselves a large range of fun and exciting activities such as:
- Trivia Challenges
- Homeroom Spelling Bee challenges
- Book character Dress up Day
- Poetry Writing Workshop
- Poetry Recital Competition
- Public Speaking Competition
- Nathalia Community Library Tour's
“The study of English is central to the learning and development of all young Australians. It helps create confident communicators, imaginative thinkers and informed citizens.” - Australian Curriculum.
The domain consists of the study of History, Geography, Civics, Economics & Business.
Why study History?
“If you want to know who you are and where you’re going to…..then you need to know from where you come!”
History is the investigation into the past that develops students' curiosity and imagination. Awareness of history is an important aspect of any society, and historical knowledge is essential to understanding ourselves and others.
Why a focus on Geography?
- You'll know the way to San Jose.
- History will make a lot more sense.
- You'll actually know where those coffee beans come from!
- One of the most admired women in history, Mother Teresa, was a geography teacher.
- Michael Jordan was a Geography major so you can be like Mike and make millions of dollars.
- When the GPS says “Continue straight ahead” and it’s a cliff face, you might know you’re in the wrong place.
- You won't buy a Vline ticket from Melbourne to Hobart.
- You will be able to "find your way out of a paper bag".
Study Geography to Understand Our Planet (Global Warming, el Nino, Political Borders, etc.)
Study Geographical Regions (If you’re Marketing Manager for “NW Australia”, you’d better know where that is and what it’s like!)
Being A Well-Educated Global Citizen (Learn to think, research and communicate – what career doesn’t need these skills?)
All of which points to Geographers knowing stuff and being able to solve problems. This is exactly what managers of most businesses do every day.
Why know about Civics?
- Australia is one of the few Western democracies which compels her citizens to vote.
- Why have Rules and Laws?
- What constitutes a good leader?
- How does one balance individual rights and responsibilities with those of the communities to which we belong?
- Become an informed citizen!
Why Economics & Business?
Economy and Society develops knowledge and skills in the basics of:
- The World of Work